Looking Back


1923The Fairbury Alfalfa Mill burned, with loss estimated at $30,000. Then owned by W.M. McLucas, Ora Cox and Pat Walsh, the milling business was acquired in 1935 by Fred H. Preston Sr. of Lincoln and continued by his sons.A thousand horses were sold at the Carpenter sale barn of Fairbury. A team of mules brought $550; good draft horses averaged $140 each.The bridge over the Little Blue River at the west edge of Fairbury, 185 feet long, costing $22,400 and paid for by the United States, was completed.1933Fairbury's City Council approved construction of a second 12-inch pipeline connecting Crystal Springs. Deposits totaled $201,000 on the fir...


Related Articles

Check Also