1904\nB.G. Dawson of Centerville, Illinois, bought the Messmore farm north of Fairbury, paying $11,500 for the 240 acres.\nDiller formed an acetylene gas company to provide lighting.\n1914\nG.W. Hanson and Son sold the Galbraith Nursery to C.M. Hurlburt.\nElmo Hadley of near Diller had harvested 700 bushels from three acres of onions.\n1924\nThe Journal noted that the janitor of the new high school building was being paid $2,000 a year, which was $800 more than the superintendent had been paid in 1884.\nThe city appropriation ordinance provided $6,000 for the Fire Department, $4,500 for the Library, $3,000 for the Park Department, $4,500 for the Police Department, $1,000 for \u201ca musical organization providing public concerts,\u201d and amounts for other city activities and salaries.\n1954\nGeorge Newton was Community Chest drive chairman. Chest officers were Warren Jones, president; Mrs. C.J. Galbraith, vice president; and Mrs. Clyde Washburn, secretary-treasurer.\nOfficers installed by the Fairbury Lions Club included: Eldon Miller, president; Wendell Sugden and Farrell Arkland, vice president; Herman Host, secretary-treasurer; Charles Churchill, Lion tamer; and Gail Peterson, tail twister.\n1964\nThe Diller Community High School annual was dedicated to Mrs. Dora Miller, whose Diller Record page in The Fairbury Journal had always featured the schools.\nCharles Juricek received a $100 award from the National Elks Foundation in addition to the "Most Valuable Student" award from the Fairbury Lodge. The son of the Lester Juriceks of Jansen, he had been valedictorian of the 1964 FHS class.\n1974\n"Third strike" and "last straw" described crop losses in Jefferson County. A sur-vey committee estimated almost $16 million from drought, $2 \u00bd million from a mid-August hail storm and almost a half-million dollars from a Labor Day freeze that dropped temperatures to 28 degrees.\nThe Natural Gas Pipeline Co. of America replaced its six-pipe crossing under the Little Blue northwest of Steele City, with a single 24-inch line weighted down with 200 tons of concrete.\nJack Porter, formerly of Hubbell, was named sales manager for NC Hybrids.\n1984\nRebuilding of the Ed Hawkes-Billy Smith cabin on Endicott's Main Street began with the arrival of 30 oak logs. The original cabin stood over 110 years ago on Smith Creek at the west entrance of Endicott.\nEmma Milius was recognized for helping make 800 quilts since 1948 for the Grace Lutheran Church Ladies' Aid group.\n\u201cThe Guild,\u201d a new studio gallery owned and operated by Ralph and Depke Andres, was to open soon at 524 E St.\n1994\nRyan Koenig of Daykin was named a winner in a national livestock judging contest sponsored by FARMING Magazine.\nSome of the winners at the Nebraska State Fair were Josh Carpenter of Diller exhbited the junior champion Brown Swiss; Carrie Nolte of Fairbury won the advanced showmanship champion-ship at the 4-H dog show; Adam Engelman of Diller exhibited the junior champion Holstein; and Dennis Brown Jr. of Fairbury won the beginning showmanship championship in the 4-H Dog Show.\nTwo area students, Angie Novotny and Brad Schacht, both of Fairbury, were selected as members of the Hastings College Music Department's vocal and instrumental group for the coming year.\nFive ordinances designed to reshape the boundaries of the city of Fairbury received initial approval from members of the Fairbury City Council.\n2004\nThe eighth annual golf tournament to benefit the Jefferson Health Care Foundation and Jefferson Community Health Center was successful, raising more than $4,800.\nThe Kiwanis Club made a donation Tuesday to the Sheriff's Office to help with the purchase of a drug dog.\nAquila employee Stan Schiermeyer, service technician in Fairbury, was recognized by the company for 25 years of service.