1901\nGeorge Galbraith bought the Benjamin farm on Rock creek for $27.50 an acre.\nFrank Hurless sold his farm on Rock Creek for $30 an acre and moved to Fairbury to work on the Rock Island Line.\nJohn T. Henrichs had eight acres of wheat that made 4,712 bushels to the acre.\nThe first good rain of the summer fell on Aug. 10. It came too late to save the corn but was mighty welcome after a hot dry summer.\nEd Ayres sold 30 corn binders as farmers were compelled to cut up most of their corn for feed.\nDry elm cord wood was being offered for sale in Fairbury at $3.25 to $3.75 a cord.\nArtesian water was struck on the Kilpatrick farm northeast of Diller.\n1915\nThere were over 600 automobiles registered in Jefferson County, with fees totaling about $1,200.\n1925\nContracts were let to add 14 rooms to the Florence Hotel and 32 to the Mary-Etta Hotel, the latter by adding a fourth story.\n1937\nThe Norris Rural Public Power District received $150,000 federal allotment toward construction of 291 miles of line in Jefferson and Saline Counties.\nFive blocks of asphaltic concrete paving were laid on B street from 3rd to 4th, and 4th from B Street to the city limits.\n1945\nFairbury Municipal Airport netted about $12.75 per acre from the first cutting of alfalfa. Sam Stull, in charge of mowing,charged $36 for and raking 20 acres. About 44 tons were sold, for $12 a ton. Bailing cost the airport 11 cents a bale.\n1951\nMiss Ollie Leavitt, missionary for the Methodist church, Raichur, India, arrived home on a year's furlough. Miss Leavitt had been in India about 20 years, and this was her third furlough to the United States.\n1961\nThe announcement was made by the Lynch Clinic that Dr. Frank Falloon would associate with them in a short while. He was a 1958 graduate of the University of Nebraska college of medicine, interned at Nebraska Methodist hospital in Omaha and was finishing a two-year residency at Merced and Kings County hospitals in California. A native Nebraskan, his parents, Judge and Mrs. Virgil Falloon, lived at Falls City. They had two children, Teri, 4, and Michael, 20 months. Mrs. Falloon's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Kiger, lived at Washington, Kas.\nLloyd Erwin Goodson, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Goodson of Thompson, was one of a group of Peace Corps volunteers named for service in East Pakistan. He was the second from Jefferson county to enter the Peace Corps. Karen Long of Diller was assigned to a teaching position in the Philippine Islands. Goodson was elected because of his familiarity with farm machinery, its repair and also with tools and welding.\nAn item in the Jest Josh column of The Fairbury Journal, written by the late editor W.F. Cramb in 1937, and republished, concerned farm landlords. He said, "They have lots of trouble. The wheat field that the tenant said was 31 acres and made 27 bushels to the acre, measures out 42 acres when the landlord hires it plowed by the acre."\nThe Raymond L. Fielder family left for a teaching position at Lewisporte, Newfoundland. Mr. Fielder, son of Mr. and Mrs Raymond Fielder of Fairbury was to head the science department, and Mrs. Fielder would teach social studies and English. She was the daughter of Pete Meyers of Tobias. They were both reared in Fairbury and had spent the summer here where Mr. Fielder was employed by Consolidated Sand & Gravel Co.\n1965\nThe Union Pacific's third derailment in this area in less than eight months occurred about two miles east of Alexandria, with 82 cars off the rails.\n1975\nA quilt by Olive Henke of Fairbury, with a bicentennial theme, was tops in needlework at the Jefferson County Fair.\n1985\nLightning struck Preston's Feed Mill on 300 C Street in Fairbury early one morning, causing $8,000 to $10,000 estimated damage, mostly in the office area of the building.\n1993\nThe Meridian Mustangs defeated the Kenesaw Blue Devils, the number 3 ranked in D-1, in a 14-6 upset.\n1996\nThe Jefferson County Service Board gave its approval to create one office for the Veteran's Service Office and the Jefferson County Superintendent of Schools. The idea was to allow the two offices, which were each open part-time, to share a part-time secretary.